|“||There is no need to worry, my beloved. Why should you, an immortal goddess of the highest order, care about the fate of mere mortals? Clean your tears, beloved. For even if I don't understand your mercy, I will still save them, as long as it makes you happy. Now smile, after all, you are the most beautiful when you smile.||„|
|— Chronos to Ananke.|
Chronos is the Primordial God and the second personification of time and space while also being the 2nd-in-Command of the Protogenoi, the Greco-Roman Primordials. His wife is Ananke, the primordial goddess of inevitability, compulsion, and necessity.
Chronos is the first creation of Khaos and the husband of Ananke and her Roman counterpart Necessitas. He is said to be the personification of time and eternity and the lord of the Zodiac. Chronos was confused with, or perhaps consciously identified with, the Titan Cronus in antiquity due to the similarity in names.
His name means the word "time". He is the student and will later on be the successor of Father Time.
He was initially portrayed to possess an incorporeal figure as a serpent with three heads; one of a man, the second of a bull, and the last of a lion Chronos is also portrayed as an old, wise man with a long, grey beard, similar to his mentor Father Time. Chronos is also a God of Death along with being a guide to the afterlife. His connection with Death, had accidentally had many beings mistaken each identity with the other.
He was depicted in Greco-Roman mosaics as a man turning the Zodiac Wheel.
As the primordial personification of time, Chronos is a very serious entity for the sake of the multiverse. He is very adamant about his purpose of protecting the flow of time and will do anything to fulfill that purpose. However, according to some of his siblings such as Ananke, Chronos can be quite laid back almost bordering laziness and can be very relaxed, and can also be a very loving older brother.
While mainly acting indifferent and detached from creation and mankind, if provoked enough, can and has been seen to become very enraged towards creation, mankind and other species, such as demons, dragons, angels, fallen angels and Gods alike. When concerning Ananke and humans that he is fond of, he is shown to treat them with love kindness and even protectiveness, even if they are in Hell, Sheol, facing Archdemons and even other creatures.
However, despite all of that, Chronos is known only by select primordial's to be hanging around mankind very often, with him also sometimes even intervening in some human lives and even sometimes blessing curtains humans he finds amusing and gets along with.
Powers and Abilities
As the second-in-command of the Protogenoi, Chronos is unbelievably powerful primordial surpassing all his fellow creations of Khaos among the other pantheons. Being the personification of time and successor of Father Time, he proved to be among the most powerful entities in the entire multiverse capable of rivalling the likes of Calur and Yog-Sothoth.
- Primordial Time Deity Physiology: As a Primordial deity, as well as one of the Protogenoi, Chronos is a primordial deity, a god, deity or divine being that has existed prior to or since the beginning of time. However, he is also a time deity as well, as a god/goddess that can manipulate time on a transcendent level that far exceed normal users of chronokinesis. He can manipulate time at planetary, galactic, universal or even at the omniversal level. He can manipulate even the entire space-time continuum as they are nearly unstoppable deities, allowing him to rival the might of Calur and Yog-Sothoth. Chronos is also a Temporal Entity by ascending into a higher level of existence, and are able to influence/manipulate Time in a supreme or nearly supreme manner.
- Nigh-Omnipotence: As a Primordial, Chronos possesses unimaginable power that rivals both Calur and Yog-Sothoth, allowing him to do almost anything and everything. This allows him to wield supreme power over reality and the Multiverse capable of annihilating all the True Archangels and Princes of Hell including Satan and Lucifer nigh-effortlessly. He is also shown to be able to take on countless demons and even deities like the Olympians and many other pantheons effortlessly as well. This is shown by when some of the Archdemons captured some humans that he knew rather well and even stormed into Hell completely annihilated them with almost no effort, leaving the Princes of Hell unconscious for weeks on end with their bodies visibly mangled.
- Nigh-Omniscience: As a Primordial, Chronos knows almost everything in existence while being blocked from certain details or being limited in other ways, possibly only being able to see multiple timeline's and universe's, or have just small patches of information that are missing or blocked out. Thus allowing him to keep his sense of free will and uncertainty. He also knows everything about time and everything related to it. As such, they know everything within time, and what lies within, and around it. Chronos knows everything when it comes to time because all its secrets are revealed, knowing all the ways and reasons of how time is supposed to be work. He can also see every event across all of the infinite timelines simultaneously. He also instantly knows when and how something happened or will happen regardless of what timeline an event occurred.
- Creation: Chronos can create organic or inorganic matter from nothing, either as finished objects or simply unfinished elements. As a Primordial, he can create anything he can think of, whether conceptual or sentient. This includes the creation of energy, souls and life of any complexity, dimensions or realities, stars, etc.
- Destruction: Chronos can utterly destroy things. As a Primordial, Chronos can destroy anything and everything from small objects to entire galaxies or universes and possibly even abstract concepts and/or natural forces/laws. However, Chronos cannot destroy beings such as the Pre-Existential entities. Chronos is also able to remove something completely and utterly without leaving anything behind, it may instead be a form of Erasure.
- Reality Warping: Chronos is able to control and bend reality to his whims, capable of altering something as tangible as physics and the universe to something inconceivable like logic. Because of this immense ability, many younger gods are often led to believing his to possess complete omnipotence power. As the Primeval Time, Chronos can distort, shape, manipulate, even warp billions of realities, with just a mere thought or snap of his fingers.
- Time Embodiment: As the Protogenoi of Time, Chronos is the embodiment of time. This allows Chronos to wield the power to control the timeline of all things whether to fast forward things or rewind them. Chronos can cause anything to rot, corrode, decay and turn to dust, or reverse things to the past to the point in which he have never existed. He can travel in time, and read, manipulate and remember past, present and future timelines/events.
- Chronokinesis: As the Primordial of Time, Chronos can create, shape, move, control, interact and manipulate time, the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in an apparently irreversible succession from the past, through the present, into the future, in the general area or for a specific target in various ways, with the most basic of acts revolving around accelerating, slowing, stopping, and even rewinding or looping it. Due to his Primordial status, Chronos is able affect the entire space-time continuum of the Multiverse.
- Time Energy Manipulation: As the Primordial of Time, Chronos can manipulate the energy/force of the flow of time, allowing them to condense time into a quasi-tangible form and/or energy and utilize it for more physical usage, as opposed to simply controlling time itself. This includes constructs and firing blasts of temporal energy. By controlling the energy flow of time, Chronos can force time to move and stop at various rates, ride the flow to teleport through space and time, concentrate it into gateways through time or even Space-Time Rifts. The fast currents of time energy can be even used to deflect attacks at amplified velocity, and, at higher intensities, can cause victims to disintegrate due to the physical body being unable to keep up with the flow of time.
- Meta Space-Time Manipulation: As the Primordial of Space and Time, Chronos can manipulate the space-time continuum of every reality, whether it be a higher dimension, a parallel universe, a dream world, etc. He is able to bend, distort, and alter the very fabric of existence anywhere and everywhere to his desire, even locations where time and space may not even exist. This includes the boundaries that separate the differing worlds and planes from one another, which can be utilized to reach cosmic endeavors. Such as combining timelines, merging worlds and locations, even switching/replacing things between dimensions. In essence, the user is able to exploit anything within the confines of the Multiverse (or even the Megaverse) for their benefit.
- Meta Time Manipulation: As the Primordial of Time, Chronos can manipulate time of any/all realities, dimensions and universes, whether they are physical locations, such as higher dimensions, heaven or hell, or metaphysical locations such as the dream world. He can create temporal effects that can even affect incorporeal and metaphysical life forms who are normally at an alternate plane of existence, such as dream sprites, ghosts, and deities.
- Age Manipulation: As the Primordial of Time, Chronos can manipulate age, the amount of time something has existing, allowing them to accelerate or reverse the age of organisms and non-living objects. He can also cause a person to instantly become geriatric or reverse back to an adolescent or age objects to dust.
- Biological Manipulation: Chronos has also shown to possess the ability to manipulate life and living organisms, including but not limited to genetic alterations and physical distortion and/or augmentations of biological functions. They can cause cells to augment to induce advanced or declined biological healing, induce and cure diseases like cancer, induce appearance alteration, manipulate pheromones, and even increase physiological maturity.
- Supreme Divinity: As one of the Three Great Vanguard, Chronos has supreme divinity and all divine powers granting them an extremely immense amounts of supreme power beyond the mundane, making users the highest divine being by nature, a status can surpass many if not all other forms of divine/divinities in the existence making the users a supremely powerful divine entity who is practically omnipotent, forever above all other divine beings in their respective universes and beyond. This level and form of divinity is slightly variable and very unique by Chronos' nature and character of being, thus is the strongest divinities and is ultimately reliant on the user alone, having all the divine powers in the known existence that could only be wielded by the strongest of divine and holiest of entities in the universe. This kind of divinity can never be lost or found for the supremacy of such divinity is forever bound. Due to possessing this power source Chronos is capable of surpassing many types of deities such as, creator deities, celestial deities, some destroyer deities, monotheistic deities, higher transcendent spirits, cosmic entities, and even archangels and archdemons. Supreme level divinity is the purest form of divinity neither light or dark but rather is in perfect balance with both forever in limitless harmony with each other forever transcending duality and maintain a cosmic balance within himself.
- Absolute Condition: As one of the strongest Primordials, Chronos has a supreme mental and physical condition. His other abilities, if applicable, are often at Absolute levels. At the most basic level, Chronos has a supreme and absolute physical and mental condition, with absolutely nothing being able to surpass them in those attributes. For example, with his strength, he can lift the entire multiverse or punch so hard reality is distorted. With his speed, he can travel infinite distances/execute infinite actions within a finite amount of time and go everywhere and everywhen faster than instantly. With his intellect, he can outsmart the smartest cosmic beings effortlessly. However, an absolute condition also includes other attributes of existence such as absolute immortality, invulnerability, regeneration, life-force and potential, making him truly supreme in every aspect of existence.
- Absolute Immortality: As one the strongest of the Primordials, Chronos is absolutely immortal, and cannot die, age, get sick, be permanently wounded, is absolutely self-sustained and, as his mind and soul are immortal, he is immune to mental/spiritual damage. Any injuries Chronos suffers will immediately heal, even if Chronos' body is disintegrated or blown up or completely erased and even if Barak is completely destroyed to the sub-atomic level, he will still return to life. However, the only beings that are able to kill him are Pre-existential Entities.
- Nigh-Absolute Invulnerability: As one of the strongest Primordials, Chronos' durability is so immense to point that it borders in a near absolute invulnerability. He is strong enough to take on full blown attacks from his opponents without taking any damage or minor scratch. Chronos is one of the very few powerful Primordials that are immune to almost all kinds of damage, be it physical, mental, spiritual, and even conceptual. He can be immune to all damages except for one or more exceptions.
- Supernatural Concealment: As a Primordial, Chronos can hide from anything, including humans and even extremely high-ranking supernatural entities such as True Archangels, Archdemons, gods and even Some of the Pre-existentials. In short, Chronos can't be found unless he wants to be. However, there are beings who are able to detect him, mainly, Khaos, Father Time, God, Barbelo and Caligo which is mainly and only due to their immeasurable power and knowledge. This is clearly seen as when he was on Earth and beings such as Nyarlathotep and Shubrikkurat.
If he knows who or when the eternal clock was wound, Chronos does not tell, but upon the first stroke, he came to be. Emptiness was the ocean, then, and his only companion was Ananke, Queen of Fate. Together, their powers divided the vastness into heaven and earth and sea and sky. Thereafter, Chronos became an observer, the watchman of infinity.
Myths and Legends
In the Orphic cosmogony, the unaging Chronos produced Aether and Khaos, and made a silvery egg in the divine Aether. It produced the hermaphroditic god Phanes who gave birth to the first generation of gods and is the ultimate creator of the cosmos.
Pherecydes of Syros in his lost Heptamychos ("the seven recesses"), around 6th century BC, claimed that there were three eternal principles: Chronos, Zas (Zeus) and Chthonie (the chthonic). The semen of Chronos was placed in the recesses of the Earth and produced the first generation of gods.
Chronos already was confused with, or perhaps consciously identified with, the Titan Cronus in antiquity due to the similarity in names. The identification became more widespread during the Renaissance, giving rise to the allegory of "Father Time" wielding the harvesting scythe.
|“||Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives!||„|
|“||You wander an ephemeral dream… Your transience affords uncompromising power… What is your life…? What is your death…?||„|
|“||Three main problems with being old: First, my memory is not what it used to be. Also my memory is not what it used to be.||„|
|— Chronos to Zeus.|
- The original meaning and etymology of the word Chronos are uncertain.
- Chronos might also be contrasted with the deity Aion as cyclical Time.
- In some Greek sources, Kairos is mentioned as a brother of Chronos. However, other sources point out that it is his son.
- For the orphics, Chronos is the father of Chaos.